About ten years after the war between the states, several families from the north moved to Chester Station, Virginia, to hunt buried treasure. A true treasure of religious heritage emerged. Seventeen charter members were present for the organization of Chester Presbyterian Church on June 16, 1878. The members met in the hall of Chester Hotel until the first church building was finished in 1880. The Chapel, as it is now known, was built on small lot purchased for $ 40.00 and remained there until it was moved to Osborne Road in 1951, where it remained until moved, once again, to its prominent location at the corner of Ironbridge ( US-RT 10) and Osborne Roads. The Chester Presbyterian Chapel is now a Virginia registered landmark and,from its beginning, was at the heart of the ecumenical spirit in the Chester community and remains so today.
In 1956, a new building with a sanctuary, a fellowship hall with kitchen, Sunday school rooms and offices, was built facing Ironbridge Road. This addition to our church campus allowed our congregation and ministry to continue in it growth. Though most activities moved to the new building, the Chapel coninued to be used for Sunday school, scouts, and intimate wedding ceremonies. A new educational building was completed in 1967, providing much needed Sunday school space.
With the continued growth in our congregation, long range planning was begun. The decision was made to move the Chapel once again, and a new larger sanctuary and narthex were completed in 1995. Our facilities continued to expand, and an addition with a fellowship hall, kitchen and classrooms was completed in 2000. In Spring 2008, renovation of the old educational building and the renovation and conversion of the former "youth house" into a new "meeting center" with larger multi-functional spaces was completed. Our parking lot was expanded, and the original parking lot was re-coated and re-striped.
In December 2002, we completed installation of our new 31 rank pipe organ manufactured by the A. E. Schlueter Pipe Organ Company. This wonderful addition to our sanctuary assists us each Sunday, as we worship our Lord with the spoken word and with music.
The church's past, however, is only part of its story. The witness it has borne throughout the years is carried on today by an active, dedicated congregation, which welcomes you to its midst. We are excited about the new growth opportunities these changes will afford our congregation and the many possibilities they provide us in carrying out our Christian mission in our community and in the world.